Development and Operationalization of M&E framework for the Energy Division of Ministry of Energy & Water (MEW)
Afghan German Development Cooperation GIZ
Institutional Development for Energy in Afghanistan IDEA
Ministry of Energy & Water Afghanistan
DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT6 Months
START DATE / COMPLETION DATEAug 2017 – Feb 2018
MEW has formulated the Afghanistan National Energy Policy (NEP), Renewable Energy Policy (REP) and Electricity Services Law (ESL) and recognizes the importance of setting up a structured M&E mechanism to monitor and evaluate the incremental progress of implementation of these to ensure that the objectives of the five year strategic plan of energy sector (2016-2020) are met.
It is important to mention that a structured monitoring and evaluation system is in place in the Energy Division of MEW in some basic form, but it needs to be further developed and strengthened. Furthermore, for operationalization of the M&E system, significant capacity building needs to be done for effective implementation of the M&E System.
- A comprehensive Monitoring & Evaluation system/framework for the Energy Division of MEW is developed.
- The system is populated with the necessary data.
- Adequate capacity development through trainings is done of the people who would manage the M&E system.
Desk review and consultation:
- Stakeholder consultation in the Energy Division of MEW to understand the organization structure and tasks and activities that are being performed in the Division.
- Conduct a literature review of all relevant sector assessment reports focusing on Results Based Management (RBM), Organizational Development (OD) and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) aspects.
- Review the already developed M&E framework for Energy Directorates.
Design of a comprehensive M&E System:
- Update and redesign wherever required, Monitoring & Evaluation system/framework to include the plans and goals of various sector initiatives.
- Evolve a comprehensive M&E system to monitor and evaluate all activities and projects in the energy sector, under the purview of MEW, in consultation with the
- Deputy Minister, Energy, Advisors and relevant officers of the Energy Directorates/Departments.
- Ensure that all indicators are SMART compliant (simple, measurable, attributable/achievable, realistic and time-bound).
- Develop a proposal for the establishment of a Monitoring & Evaluation Unit in the Energy Division of MEW and support its operationalization.
- Develop a coherent and comprehensive structure for the Monitoring and Evaluation unit/department and present it to senior officials of the MEW and other authorized entities.
- Develop a coherent and comprehensive structure for institutionalizing the Monitoring and Evaluation system/framework within Units/Departments/Directorates of the Energy Division of MEW.
- Organize a workshop to present the outputs to senior officials of MEW and other authorized entities with a view to finalizing the M&E system/framework.
- Incorporate feedback received from the participants of the workshop and submit the final M&E system/framework.
Roll-out of the M&E System/Framework:
- Review and complete the energy sector matrix and logframes/result frameworks for Units/Departments/Directorates of the Energy Division of MEW, incorporating relevant elements of the final M&E system/framework in their Key Performance Indicators (KPI) in consultation with the Senior M&E Advisor in the Energy Division of MEW.
- Develop comprehensive reporting templates for Units/Departments/Directorates of the Energy Division of MEW based on their Key Performance Indicators (KPI) commensurate with the final M&E system/framework in consultation the Senior M&E Advisor in the Energy Division of MEW.
- Develop a comprehensive M&E manual that would include guidelines for successful implementation of the M&E system. The manual should clearly specify standard operating procedures for data collection, collation, aggregation, reporting and analysis.
- Act as resource-person(s) during orientation sessions with key staff of Units/Departments/Directorates prior to roll-out of the final M&E system/framework. The orientation session will include modules on the final M&E system/framework, key performance indicators, M&E manual/guidelines and reporting templates.
- Conduct a situation analysis in the Central Statistic Organization (CSO) to determine its intervention and link with the energy sector.
- Mentor and coach designated staff of Units/Departments/Directorates of the Energy Division of MEW to collect and collate data and preparing reports in consonance with the M&E manual/guidelines and reporting templates.
- Organize monthly reflection meetings with heads of Units/Departments/Directorates of the Energy Division of MEW on reports submitted by their staff.
- Provide inputs for changes required to be made in annual work plans of Units/Departments/Directorates of the Energy Division of MEW based on the information being provided in reports.
- Facilitate and organize an international tour to study relevant sectoral energy M&E systems.
- Act as resource person(s) for refresher sessions for staff of Units/Departments/Directorates of the Energy Division of MEW on the M&E system based on mentoring and coaching experience.
- Support the Dy. Minister, Energy for:
- Developing terms of references and results framework for the newly added Units/Departments/Directorates of the Energy Division of MEW.
- Developing terms of reference for computerization of the M&E system/framework